Friday, September 12, 2008

Hey, howdy!

Unlike Leah, I knew I got hot and bothered by images and thoughts of women from my early teens, when I snuck my first peek at my dad's Playboy magazines. And I discovered the girl-on-girl action did it for me like whoa and like damn not long after that, when I stumbled on a Penthouse photo layout of two women together.

Imagine my shock and curiosity at a fairly innocent 15 years old to see Nina Hartley on Donahue (now I'm dating myself) of all places, talking about her boyfriend and her girlfriend and the logistics involved in a genuine, three-person relationship. How intrigued was I? I don't think I need to spell it out for anyone.

My first foray into the romance genre came not much later than my inauguration into the Hot Chick Appreciation Club. One beaten up copy of Catherine Coulter's Fire Song when I was barely into puberty and I was hooked. (I'm pleased to tell you all that my tastes have evolved somewhat, in that I don't enjoy the "Misogynistic, Violent Butthead as Hero" trope so much anymore.) And not long after that, I encountered my very first real live girl-on-girl scene in a romance novel--I can't even remember what book or by whom.

And then, oh the disappointment to discover the scene consisted of not much more than an aborted kiss. My crest, it was fallen. And to add insult to my drooping crest, I didn't come across another such scene in a romance novel until I began reading erotic romance ebooks a couple of years ago. And to be honest, that first scene didn't really do much for me, either.

Being lover of a good romance, there are things I find in books that bug the crap out of me--like a jerk-faced hero that needs a smack upside the head. Or a f/f scene thrown in for the sake of having it, without any real depth of emotion or chemistry. Or a villainess who is a lesbian just to show the reader that she's extra evil. Being a writer, there are other, more quantifiable things that bug me in a romance--typos, sloppy grammar, word choices that make me want to buy the writer a thesaurus for her birthday (and one for her editor, too), and I have unfortunately found a disproportionate amount of these in ebooks that focus on f/f content. This would seem to be because epublishers have decided this content "doesn't sell" to a straight, female readership, so it isn't worth the trouble of extensive editing.

Granted, I am finding fewer and fewer examples of the tacked on f/f scenes in ebooks these days, but that's because they are hardly publishing any f/f material at all.

Now, I'm the first person to admit to being a tad unconventional, but I knew I could not be the only slightly-queer-but-sorta-straight woman out there who wants to read this stuff. And stumbling across the occasional shining gem of a story--like Michelle DeLully's La Bonne--and discussing my feelings with Leah and other like-minded women, I've realized I am not alone.

And after listening for months to my repeated lament--"Will no one think of the lowly, languishing, neglected, bi-curious woman romance reader?!?"--Leah took matters into her own hands and decided to start this blog. When she asked me if I'd like to contribute and help her run it, I was all over it like a monkey on a cupcake.

So here it is. A place where we can all talk about books with smokin' f/f action, where we can admit to fantasies involving Angelina Jolie and a pair of handcuffs, where we can look at pictures of chicks kissing (BTW, holy crap, Leah, that picture is hot!) without anyone going "Eeeewwwww!" or asking "OMG, Kirsten, are you a...a lesbian?"

To help get the discussion going, I'm gonna randomly select four commentors on these first two posts to win a free copy of one of my ebooks. So have at it. Let us know you're out there.

-Kirsten Saell

15 comments:

rowanlarke said...

I can agree with most of what you wrote, which should surprise you everso, eh?

I remember my high school bf talking me down because I was so confused about how I could enjoy reading/watching girl on girl, and yet...not be "a lesbo". (yeah, it was the early 90s, what can I say.)
Add in an uber-religious family, a f/f encounter when I was far too young to understand...anything...and I was a mess.

It's only now I'm all grown up that I can admit: Chickz iz hawt.

Seeley deBorn said...

Looks like the all girl orgy has spilled over onto the blog...
;)

Madame Butterfly said...

Oh good, I can lurk here too then. ;)

kirsten saell said...

Yeah, I never felt like there was anything wrong with me--but I did feel like other people would prossibly think I was some kind of freak, so I was really careful about who I told.

Now I'm totally comfortable telling even my mom that my third book could have been called "Two Scabbards, One Sword" (although it did take a while for her to realize exactly what I meant by that, lol!).

And yeah, Seeley, bring on the orgy. No one ever dies wishing they'd participated in fewer orgies...

You know, Leah, it's hardly lurking if we all know you're here. ;)

Madame Butterfly said...

I'm hiding in the corner just watching the show. I love being a voyeur ya know ;)

But sometimes I do like to do some exhibiting. :D

Seeley deBorn said...

Oooo so M is lurking. ;)

Now I'm wondering what you've been dishing...

Madame Butterfly said...

I was always turned on by watching girl on girl as well and also by looking at naked women, but it never translated into that I might like girls.

I always figured it as normal physical response, like getting turned on when I watch hets doing things sexually that I'd never, ever do. My body responds to a lot of different stimuli that my mind and heart don't.

But if I think back on a few experiences or a scene I've watched in which there is a poignant moment in which two women who have feelings for each other kiss or something like that, it does do things to my insides. Hard to describe that feeling though.

It's different then when I watch or read a man and woman falling in love though, so it's hard to figure it out.

Madame Butterfly said...

Seely, she hasn't been dishing anything...I have been lurking over at Divas.

JenB said...

LOLOL...I get a lot of those whispered "I thought she was straight" comments.

I love the idea of this blog. Thanks, ladies, for starting it.

I know there are a lot more bi-curious and female-appreciative chicks out there than most women will admit. I hope they all find this blog.

Damnit, Leah. I found that hawt pic online last week and thought about sending it to you, but then decided to keep it to myself. But somehow you found it anyway!! LOLOL

Madame Butterfly said...

Jen- you straight? Buwahahah!

You're hilariously twisted. It's why you're so entertaining. :D

Oh, and no fair keeping hawt pics of chicks to yourself. Share the bounty. :)

JenB said...

MB - I don't need to share that pic with you now. Apparently you did the same Google search I did. LOL

My husband gets a kick out of my book collection. M/F, M/M (my main love), M/M/F, F/F/M, etc.

What can I say? I love sex and I love relationships and love, no matter who's paired up.

Madame Butterfly said...

My husband gets a kick out of my book collection. M/F, M/M (my main love), M/M/F, F/F/M, etc

Mine just looks at me with this slightly uncomfortable smiling face, especially when I go on about lurving f/f, and some m/m.

I especially love to suddenly read out loud some particularly erotic scene while he's not expecting it.

And, I'm always playfully and somewhat jokingly asking, can't a try a girl, please? Although, I'm really kind of serious. LOL

He knows I won't unless he says yes, so he's not that freaked.

I love to shock him though, it's one of my main forms of entertainment. :D

shakspearchick said...

Horray it works!! Love the blog!!

kirsten saell said...

Thanks, babe!

rowanlarke said...

oooh. "Female appreciative". I like that one!

And yeah, M. I guess I always figured my body just...responded...to things, and I was just along for the ride. (once I got over the 'omg I'm gay?' fears.)

I love reading m/m, too, but I don't find it...titillating, really, I just find the stories more bittersweet, which is something I like. Even the happy endings aren't necessarily HEA. I like unconventional HEAs. (which is such an understatement it isn't funny.)