Wednesday, January 6, 2010

A New Trend? Or just more out in the open?

I'll admit it, I'm totally obsessed over Lady Gaga. I think she's totally hot and love that she's such a freak. I did a whim buy of her latest CD and love most of the songs. She recently, after much speculation, admitted she's bisexual. Big deal right?





Well, I follow a blog called After Ellen on twitter and they post such interesting tidbit items about all things celebrity, movies, TV shows that include lesbian/bi issues. It's a great pop culture gossip column site. They recently posted a story about a new singer Ke$ha, a young chicky singer whose song is now the most downloaded song since Lady Gaga's Let's Dance last year. I watched the video and thought she's so hawt as well. Then I read an article about her on After Ellen and guess what? It turns out she's also bisexual. Again, so what, right?






Well, she's a good friend and starred in a video with Katy Perry of "I Kissed a Girl" song fame. (link to that article on After Ellen
here.)

Out magazine sat down with Ke$ha and talked about her debut album, her musical influences, working with her friend Katy Perry and her sexuality, about which Ke$ha says: “I like people. I wouldn’t say I’m gay or straight. I don’t like labeling anything anyways. I would just say I like people.”

So what has me blogging this is that there seems to be an outbreak of young female singers who proclaim sexual fluidity lately. Meaning, they don't completely come out and say they are into chicks at times, and like to keep fans guessing, but hint at "yes, I am into chicks at times."

Is it because of the times? Or have there always been so many bisexual female stars/singers in the past only no one cared about their sexuality? And is it a requirement that they are all freaks? Because it seems so.

The first one I knew about was Janis Joplin. Then in the 80's there was Madonna, one of the first to be open about her sexuality and being bisexual. And I had my freak on for Grace Jones back in the 80's as well. Damn, but she was really out there. She's another one from the past who keeps her sexuality ambiguous but is rumored to be bisexual.

Warning: Grace Jones vid is very dark. Just my thing, but maybe not everyone else's.







Connecting the dots, it's not only female singers who are coming out in droves. What also blows my mind also, is that After Ellen posted a list of all the
celebrities who came out last year as either lesbian or bi and it's a surprisingly long list.


So what gives? Has it always been like this, or is it that it's just easy times to come out? Whatever it is, I love it!

5 comments:

M. A. said...

So what gives? Has it always been like this, or is it that it's just easy times to come out? Whatever it is, I love it!

I think a lot more research is needed to answer theses kinds of questions.

Traditionally, entertainers do seem to have been more prone to sexual fluidity. Greta Garbo, Joan Crawford, Rock Hudson, Richard Burton, David Bowie, and Laurence Olivier were all reputed to have been involved in same-sex affairs at one time or another. Is it the nature of the industry or the nature of the individuals?

Also, keep in mind present-day social trends make it popular to assert bisexual/sexually fluid leanings. It's something of a cause celebre.

I think it's a good thing that society no longer flagrantly punnishes people for acting on a same-sex attraction.

I'm basically conservative in nature, however, and it really irks me how public figures are put on the spot about their gender I.D. and preferences. If I were a celebrity, I would inevitably be one of those tiresome types whose standard answer to leading questions would be "That's none of your business."

MB (Leah) said...

Traditionally, entertainers do seem to have been more prone to sexual fluidity.

Or maybe it's because we know about it. I mean, I don't think the public knew about Greta Garbo or others before the 70's when gossip mags were run by studios and orchestrated.

But because they are celebrities that info gets known, whereas who knows about the people down the street, right?

But I do think that creative types are more open in general and that the entertainment industry does attract more flamboyant types of people who like to be outrageous.

however, and it really irks me how public figures are put on the spot about their gender.

That's the thing though about celebrity, you put yourself out there and of course people will want to know these things. Especially GLBT people because it just supports them when a famous or popular celebrity says hey, see, I'm queer or bi and I'm accepted and loved.

I personally don't care about celebrity sex lives, but if someone does come out that they are gay or bi I feel a bit more attracted.

kirstensaell said...

I read somewhere once that same-sex attractions are simply more common in people who have a dominant right brain. Those tend to be people with more artistic personalities and talents.

Of course, it could be bunk. I can't even remember whether it was just a personal observation by someone, or an urban myth, or whether it was based on a study.


Either way, I love Lady Gaga too. I have a deep and abiding affection for freaks. Despite the fact that I wear my freaky on the inside...

MB (Leah) said...

I read somewhere once that same-sex attractions are simply more common in people who have a dominant right brain.

Hmmm... interesting. But that would mean that left-handers would be more apt to have same-sex attractions, no? I wonder?

I'm fully ambidextrous, wonder what that makes me? Confused. LOL

I have a deep and abiding affection for freaks. Despite the fact that I wear my freaky on the inside...

A woman after my own heart! You know though, it's always the quiet ones who keep their freak on the inside who you really have to watch out for. ; )

I wouldn't know anything about that, would I? :D

M. A. said...

I'm fully ambidextrous, wonder what that makes me? Confused. LOL


Interesting coincidence. I'm "semi-ambidextrous." Although predominantly right-handed, there are certain actions I do left-handed, such as cooking.

All joking aside, I think sexual fluidity in preferences is more a sign of disregard for limitation/barriers than confusion.