Friday, February 19, 2010

Movies with Lesbian Scenes-Themes

There was a link on Twitter to one of my favorite go-to blogs for anything in the media featuring girl on girl, After Ellen, and they did a post on films that have featured lesbian scenes or were outright about lesbians. The link here.

I haven't seen most of them so I couldn't comment on how good any of them are as far as lesbian content. I did see The Hunger, which I found highly erotic as far as a girl on girl sex scene. I even bought the DVD and have watched that film many times.





What I loved about it was how predatory, yet feminine, Catherine Denueuve's character is in her seduction.

Catherine Deneuve also played a lesbian in a French film, which wasn't mentioned in the article, Les Valeurs (The Thieves). There is a bathtub scene between with the two women, but that's all that is shown. Not very erotic, but still a film about lesbian love and one character's heartbreak over another.

Also not mentioned in the article was another French movie from 1957, The Twilight Girls. This is one of those school girl lesbian type films, which for its time, was very racy. I rented it only because it said that Catherine Deneuve was in it but didn't know it's about school girl lesbians. It still was an interesting film although very hard to rent.

I am kind of jonsen to see Tipping the Velvet, but would have to buy it since it's not easy to find in a regular store.

Has anyone seen it? And, does anyone any favorite girl on girl movies or scenes that you love?

7 comments:

Jill Sorenson said...

I saw this link on twitter yesterday! I've seen Bound and some of the others. Wild Things, naturally. I'm suprised they didn't mention Boys Don't Cry. Maybe because the Hilary Swank character identifies as male? Great scene, beautiful (but sad) movie.

LVLM said...

Yeah, I was surprise about Boys Don't Cry as well, although I've never seen that film.

There are probably others- lots of foreign films I'm sure. I know they aren't as uptight about stuff like this.

kirstensaell said...

Well, I don't think there were any lesbians in Boys Don't Cry. Brandon identified as a straight male, and his girlfriend (and OMG, yes, that scene was very powerful) was basically straight, IIR, but sexually fluid enough not to care when she realized the truth.

Another one: Oranges Aren't the Only Fruit, a BBC film about a girl raised by a staunchly religious grandmother. As big a downer as BDC, in many ways. I think at one point the Granny and her zealot friends perform exorcisms on the girl and her lover to rid them of their lesbian tendencies. I don't quite remember how it ended, except that the girl's lover "converts" back to straightness, bluh. The protag sees this as the ultimate betrayal--she held stong and resisted out of love, and her lover just caved. DOWNER.

Lost and Delirious (Piper Perabo, Mischa Barton, Jessica Pare), about two girls as lovers in an all-girl boarding school--again, a downer ending. "I'm flying! I'm flying! I'm free!" Ker-splat. That kind of ending. Bluh.

My Summer of Love, again, kind of a downer with lots of religiosity and emotional fucknuttery.

If I didn't know any better, if these films were all I knew about lesbians, I'd think they were all unstable products of dysfunctional homes and overbearing churches, destined for suicide/death pacts/emotional manipulation/and lives filled with misery--if someone doesn't shoot them first.

Kind of annoying...

Jill Sorenson said...

Right, right. Neither character is a lesbian in Boys Don't Cry. I don't think Wild Things qualifies either, by those standards.

Cathy in AK said...

Geez, what's with all the downer lesbian movies?

The only ones I've seen (and one is more bi than true lesbians) is "Kissing Jessica Stein" and "Grey Matters" with Heather Graham as a confused woman who kisses her brother's fiance and spends the bulk of the movie trying to figure out why she can't find a guy she likes : )

I'd love to see "Tipping the Velvet." It was a great book. I wouldn't mind seeing Sarah Waters's "Nightwatch" or "Fingersmith" on film either. Another of her novels, "Affinity" was made into a movie. The lesbian relationship wasn't depicted on screen or on the pages, as I recall, but it was certainly clear that there were feelings between the women (one was a lady and the other a prisoner, so there wasn't much chance for contact :) But it's a bit of a downer. Literary novels--someone's gotta go and go hard : )

I'll have to look for the ones you mentioned. Thanks!

JenB said...

Grey Matters is soooo cute.

I also LOVE Imagine Me & You. One of my favorite movies ever. It's not sad at all. Total chick flick.

Lesbian said...

This is nice blog, I like this blog
Thanks for the information on this blog! I find it Lesbian and lesbian Movies very interesting and entertaining! Hopefully soon have updates that I love your post! I thank you too!