Sunday, June 27, 2010

I suck and Gay Pride


View Larger Map

I suck people. I'm sorry I haven't posted anything. I've been home almost a week now but have mainly been trying to catch up with school work and sleep.

My trip to NJ- FL was a lot of fun, but hard work. I helped my sister and her partner pack up a 4 story house. Then my sister and I drove with her two Bichon Frises to FL stopping off at Harrisonburg, VA, where we scored some Seattle's Best coffee across from the Motel 6 we stayed at, woot! and then my Dad's in SC. My dad's wife wasn't doing well and it wasn't an easy visit. Then we drove to Tampa where my sister and her partner have now moved.

We worked hard and I didn't get much sleep since it was non-stop packing and driving. Plus, whoeee, but I hate the heat. Was so hot in NJ and even hotter in SC and FL. I'm glad I'm back in the Pacific Northwest where it's been in the high 60's. Perfect.

Even though I spent 4 hours on a layover in Dallas airport, I was too wiped out to read anything and basically just people watched and vegged. So I really didn't get much reading done on this trip. And I've had to do a lot of school work this week, so only reading a few pages a day. Ergo, no reviews or posts.

What has prompted me to post today though is that I've read or saw a few things that have hit a nerve or made me think once again.


It's Gay Pride time around the country and it's going on in Seattle today. (I do love how open minded Seattle people are) And of course there is much about it in the news and online. What has me appalled is still the negative stereotyping and hatred aimed at gay/lesbian persons.

OMG Blog (blog post here) did a post on Gay Pride with pics of celebrities who are out. What was so shocking to me are the comments. Over 4,000 comments and from the hundred or so that I read or scanned through, 90% are hateful, anti gay bashing comments. WTF???

This shocks me really. I guess if I were gay this wouldn't shock me at all since I'd be living with this kind of crap every day. I'm truly shocked though at how intensely people do hate gays. It's like they take it as a personal affront or something that someone is gay. What the hell is that?

I have a huge dislike of certain groups of people, particularly those who are ignorant bigots, but I don't go on web sites and spew hatred or even bother about those people. As someone pointed out in one comment, "if you hate gays so much why did you even click on this post?" I dislike bigoted, ignorant assholes, yet if I saw a blog post written by such a person sharing a view point I disagree with, I wouldn't even bother reading it, forget about commenting. So why do these people feel the need to flame and spew their hate? It's clear they clicked on that post and commented just to be assholes and hate on others. Whatever... I guess I'm very naive because I just can't imagine people being to hate filled and ignorant.

And again, the same old crap about "why do they need their own day?" Or "Why do they feel the need to toot their gay horns, straight people don't do that."

Well, straight people don't have to go around stating their sexual identification because it's ALREADY THE DEFAULT AND ASSUMED that you are straight. Do straight people think it's so easy when a gay person is asked, "are you married?" Or "is your husband/wife, boyfriend/girlfriend coming?

And why does anyone need their own day? Why do we have any kind of parade or celebration of any particular group? Why do the Irish need their parade or the Puerto Ricans, or church groups or any other group need their day, if you want to get so freaking picky. Who cares? Why does gay pride day and parades in particular push so many buttons?

When I was in FL with my sister we went for a walk around the neighborhood to walk the dogs. We met a woman who lived two doors down and we all started chatting, introducing ourselves. Well, this woman asked my sister if she and her husband had just moved in or what? Now for a straight person that question is normal and innocuous and isn't cause for distress in answering due to a possible negative reaction of the stranger.

But for a gay person, they have to then state openly they are gay by saying their "partner" or they have to lie because they don't want to deal with a possible judgment against them when that person doesn't even know who they are as a person outside of their sexuality. Their sexuality automatically becomes an issue where a straight persons doesn't even enter the picture at that point.



I love my sister. She's never been ashamed of who she is and doesn't shy away or hide if people ask such questions. But I'm sure there have been more than a few times when she's just not answered and had to omit some things about her personal life due to possible negative judgments. When that lady asked, my sister said, "my partner and I just moved in" and "she's a professor at .... University." Good for that woman who didn't flinch or react, but her reaction could have been far different. This is what my sister has to deal with on a regular basis.

The comments on that OMG post tell me that this is still an issue that needs to be addressed.

On to other things because my blood pressure is going up.

Jessica and Lacey who have been doing the "Lesbian Love" vlogs on AfterEllen posted a discussion on why lesbian and straight women have a hard time mixing. I thought it kind of interesting what they and commenters had to say.

Personally, I've never felt uncomfortable around lesbians even way before my sister came out. I didn't even feel uncomfortable when a lesbian girl whom I worked with told me she wanted me back in the 70's when I was 19. I carried on with her as if she were any straight guy who hit on me whom I didn't want. It's never been an issue for me. In fact, I'd like to have more lesbian friends, but this vid shows why it's not so easy.

LL 132 Straight Girls… Gay Girls… What’s the problem? from lacey stone on Vimeo.


On to other things, good things- (yeah I saved it all up :-)- My sister committed blasphemy! BLASPHEMY! I forgive her though, she was stressed. :-) While we were packing up, of course a lot of things were being thrown out as we all do when we move. But one day, I saw 6 lesbian romance books on the top of the garbage heap. What?! No way. No, no, no, we don't throw out excellent condition $16 lesbian romance books which are firstly expensive, and secondly, not easy to get in any book store. So I carried them home with me. Some of them look pretty interesting as well.

This one I'll get to pretty quickly. It looks like a good one, a romantic suspense.

The Devil Inside
by Ali Valie
Romantic Suspense
Bold Strokes Books

Brains, guts, and ruthless ambition should be enough to come out on top in any fight. Except when the battle is over love, all bets are off. Derby Cain Casey was groomed from birth to take the reins of the Casey family enterprises, which just happens to be one of the major crime organizations in New Orleans. Surviving by never turning away from a fight and knowing how to win at all costs, Cain is as careful with her heart as she is with her business - until she meets Emma Verde. The farm girl from Wisconsin puts a hit out on Cain’s heart and leads her down a dangerous road filled with great joy and devastating sorrow. The Devil Inside is the story of unexpected passion, a shattering betrayal, and the challenge of love put to the test.




On the side bar you can see I'm currently reading one of Katrina Strauss' books. It does have some hints of f/f in it. I'm half way through and it's pretty good. A good book for those of us who like a m/f with a f/f in it. And of course. So I'll be reviewing it here when I'm done unless there won't really be any f/f in it. So far, it's just hints of it or seen through the character's eyes but not what she is doing.

I can't promise that I'll be reviewing or blogging much. I have an intense quarter since it's a lot shorter than the others but have the same work load. But I'll try.

9 comments:

Eyre said...

You've been busy! No wonder you needed a week to catch up and recuperate. I hope your sister and her partner like their new home and are getting settled in.

LVLM said...

Eyre- yes, I got burned out. But it was fun and great to see my sister again. We have so much fun and she's hilarious. Does a mean Al Gore impression, which had me in stitches the whole time.

And their new home has a screened in built in swimming pool. They aren't complaining. :)

Cathy in AK said...

Glad the move was successful. But yes, wet noodle for your sister for attempting to toss the books : ) The one you posted looks real good!

As for not understanding why the haters hate, I feel the same way. What are they so angry about? I can't see putting that much negative energy into something that is really no one else's business.

Anyway, welcome back to the cooler side of the continent, and good luck back at school!

LVLM said...

Hey Cathy- thanks. I'll be back in a groove soon and get some books read. I am kind of itching to get to that book.

Also expecting the Diaries of Miss Ann Lister to come in the mail any day now. How can a DVD from England take a almost a month to arrive? I hope I can even watch it. heh.

Jill Sorenson said...

I've been neglecting my blog, too. I think it's a summer thing. My brain goes on vacation. But I'm reading! Julie Cannon and Meghan OBrien. :)

LVLM said...

Jill- it's summer, it's Ok to flake off. :)

Meghan O'Brien? Which one? I liked her 13 Hours even if it was non stop sex. :-)

Jill Sorenson said...

Yeah, I remember your review of 13 Hours. This one is The Three. There's a lot to like but I'm not sure I can keep reading. You know me--picky, picky!

LVLM said...

Jill- that one is a menage book? I remember seeing she has a menage book out. I think I didn't bother about it because I'm really not so into reading menage stories unless it's between two women and a man and not f/m/f.

So I think I kind of blew that one off as a do not bother about.

I'd still be interested in your opinion of it though.

Jill Sorenson said...

Yeah, it's a very...different sort of menage. I'll keep you posted.