Sunday, September 26, 2010

Help with AIDS Class

Hello All- I'm taking an AIDS class and one of my current assignments is to ask people to fill out a survey about AIDS.

I'm allowed to do it in any way... by phone, through email and so on, but since I need quite a few and my IRL friends are same classmates or friends living far from me, I thought I'd post it to this blog to see if anyone feels like answering the questions. I already know what my friends feel and know about AIDS since my circle was well aware of AIDS back in the mid 80's and have had friends die of it, contract it and been tested regularly ourselves since, well, we came of age during the late 60's and 70's when sexual liberation was in. So I'd like to get a more broad range group for the surveys.

It's all anonymous and if you wish to participate, you can log into comments as anonymous. There will be no way to track back to you.

If you do wish to participate, but don't wish to do so in the comments you can always email me with your answers. Of course, then I might know who you are unless you have a non-name email address. If so, do not put your name on it if you decide to go that route.

But for the record, I understand that there are a lot of feelings and issues around AIDS as well as lot of misinformation that most people take for granted. So no judgements on my part about anything you say if you do email me privately.

If you do wish to participate and there are some questions you do NOT wish to answer, that's OK as well. All I do write in my report is that a person or some people wished not to answer certain questions. I don't have to tie down people to get all the results, thank god!

Edited to add my email address: rdwar119 (at) yahoo (dot) com,   since there's no easy way to email me from this blog. Ugh.

Survey
Age   Male    Female

I know someone who is infected with mv: Yes No

know someone who has died from AIDS: Yes No

1. Despite what has been published about the way AIDS is transmitted, I still believe there is a chance that I could get AIDS by: (circle those that apply).

a. Touching (handshake, hugging) an infected person.
b. Kissing an infected person on the cheek
c. Kissing an infected person on the lips (French, tongue, or deep k1ssing excluded) d. French, tongue, or deep kissing an infected person
e. Sharing food with an infected person (such as taking a bite of a sandwich).
f Eating food prepared by an infected person who failed to wash his or her hands. g. Being near an infected person when they sneeze or cough.
h. Using a toilet seat immediately after an infected person has used it.

2. The bodily fluids of an infected person that are known to transmit AIDS are (choose all that apply):
a. Blood c. Saliva e. Urine g. Earwax i. Semen
b. Nose secretions d. Vaginal Fluid f. Sweat h. Tears j. Breast Milk

3. The bodily fluids or an infected person that are known not to transmit AIDS are (choose all that apply):

a. Blood c. Saliva e. Urine g. Earwax i. Semen
b. Nose secretions d. Vaginal Fluid  f. Sweat  h. Tears j. Breast Milk

4. When I hear that a homosexual male has contracted AIDS, my most common reaction is

a. He definitely did not deserve it
b. He probably did not deserve it
c. Not sure whether or not he deserved it d. He probably did deserve it
e. He definitely did deserve it
The reason I feel this, way is because:

5. When I hear that an IV drug abuser has contracted AIDS, my most common reaction is a. The person definitely did not deserve it
b. The person probably did not deserve it
c. Not sure whether or not the person deserved it
d. The person probably did deserve it
e. The person definitely did deserve it
The reason I feel this way is because:

6. When I hear that a male has contracted AIDS due to a contaminated blood transfusion, my most common reaction is
a. He definitely did not deserve It
b. He probably did not deserve it
c. Not sure whether or not he deserved it
d. He probably did deserve it
e. He definitely did deserve it
The reason I feel this way is because,


7. When I hear that a male has contracted AIDS due to unprotected sex with a female, my most common reaction is
a. He definitely did not deserve it
b. He probably did not deserve it
c. Not sure whether or not he deserved it
d. He probably did deserve it
e. He definitely did deserve it
The reason I feel this way is because,

8. There are approximately 300 million people living in the U.S. I would estimate that the number who have become HIV-positive since 1981, is approximately (choose one):

a.20,000 c. 500,000 e. 2 million g. 8 million i. 28 million k. 100 million
b. 100,000 d. 1 million f. 5 million h. 12 million j. 50 million 1. 140 million

9. I would guess that my chances of getting infected with mv in the next 5 years are:
a. T ota1ly Impossible
b. Virtually Impossible
c. Almost Impossible
d. Very Unlikely
e. Unlikely
f Probably Unlikely
g. Probably Likely
h. Likely
i. Very Likely
j. Extremely Likely
k. Almost Certain 1. It will definitely happen

The reason for my answer is

10.  The survey that follows has been adaptedfrom the AIDS Training Project, University of Washington:
Use the following scale to reflect how you feel about each statement by writing a number next to each:
1 = Strongly Agree
2 = Agree .
3 = Not Sure
4 =Disagree
5 = Strongly Disagree

_1. I have sufficient knowledge to protect myselfftom getting AIDS.
_2. If I got AIDS, I'm maid people would think I'm homosexual.
_3. I am morally offended by people with AIDS.
_4. I feel I am at great risk of getting AIDS because of my job.
_5. The growing number of people being diagnosed with AIDS indicates a decline in American morals. _6. I think hospital workers should not be required to work with AIDS patients.
_7. People with AIDS should be quarantined for the protection of society.
_8. I would feel quite comfortable working next to a person with the AIDS virus.
_9. I feel more negatively about homosexuality since hearing about AIDS.
_10. Children with AIDS should not be allowed to attend public school with other children.
, _11. I believe that if I worked beside someone at work who carried the AIDS virus, I could possibly
transmit the disease to my family.
_12. Getting AIDS is God's punishment for perverted and promiscuous behavior.
_13. The AIDS virus was created by the U.S. government to eliminate certain people.
_14. Very few people in the U.S. are dying ftom AIDS anymor~it is now more of a chronic illness. _15. There will be likely be a vaccine or a cure for AIDS within the next five years.

4 comments:

JenB said...

Done. Emailed you. :)

LVLM(Leah) said...

Jen- bless you! heh.

How about, do you also want to volunteer for my phlebotomy practice? LOL

JenB said...

Uhhhhhh...I'm afraid of needles. You wanna watch my eyes go unfocused and my lips turn gray? Then sure! lol

LVLM(Leah) said...

Jen- you just described how I'll look when I first do one. Buwahaha!

I pity the classmate who's going to be my first. snor