Friday, November 5, 2010

Sorry People


I know I sound like a broken record, but I just don't have the time to keep this blog going on a regular basis. School is whipping my butt this quarter and I'm so stressed out. That's what I get for taking accounting with a medical math calculations class. Numbers up the wazooo! I'll say it right now, anyone who is an accountant, thank god you do it because I would slit my throat if that were my job. So tedious. Ugh.

On to other things....

I saw on GLBT promo blog that there is a new press,
Phoenix Rising Press dedicated to offering and publishing lesbian romance/fiction. From their Author's section:

Phoenix Rising Press represents a new paradigm in lesbian publishing--a philosophical shift that is designed not to supplant, but to complement traditional publishing models. Phoenix Rising Press works with well-established, seasoned authors who are looking for maximum creative freedom and ownership of their work.


Well, it's nice that there is another publisher dedicated to offering lesbian romance and fiction. There are certainly not enough of those types of publishers. However, I probably won't be buying from them.

I can see charging $14 plus for a paper/trade book. That is pretty much the standard for lesbian fiction from any press. And since they don't do large print runs, it's going to cost. But there is no way in hell I will spend $11 plus for an ebook. An ebook that again is slapped with DRM. No. Just No. I can't share it, or resell it, or give it away. I can't even read it actually except on my computer since my reader doesn't read their three formats.


It's unfortunate. This genre gets so little attention since it seems to be such a small population who read it. But charging so much for an ebook doesn't help. It's been the major deterrent in me buying Bold Strokes books, a publisher that already has an established group of well-known and excellent authors. Why would I try out a new author on Phoenix with an $11 charge?
So, sorry Phoenix Rising Press, I won't be buying from you. Especially since there are lots of other epubs willing to put out lesbian and f/f ebooks DRM free and at a decent price.

Speaking of which... I know most readers of this blog read Dear Author. Jane has started a new site called
lostbooksales.com . It was set up for people to write why they didn't buy a book. I think it's a great idea. Maybe if publishers get to see exactly why people don't buy books, they will change their stance on how books are offered and the price of them. I don't think it will really change anything, however, it's a central place for readers to bitch, which at least gives us a voice and feels good frankly :-). More info here.

And now for some pimping:

Paisley Smith has a book coming out on NOV. 16th. I'm really looking forward to reading it!

Beguiled
by Paisley Smith

Historical

The Civil War has torn Belle Holloway’s world apart. Left to manage her Georgia plantation with little help, she is exasperated when the Union Army adds to her burden by leaving a wounded soldier behind. But upon closer examination, Belle is shocked to discover the soldier is actually a beguiling woman.

Clad in male attire stubborn, brash Alice O’Malley awakens a passion in Belle she never knew existed. Alice dominates Belle’s lonely existence with taboo pleasures and erotic escape and soon Belle realizes she is more than willing to submit her body and her heart to the woman whose strength and compassion she admires—until those very attributes prove to be the catalyst that could destroy their new found love.

12 comments:

Eyre said...

Sorry to hear your stressed. I'll be sending good thoughts your way. *hugs*

LVLM(Leah) said...

Thanks Eyre- I'll survive. snort

Only two more quarters to go then the real stress starts. heh

Cathy in AK said...

Wishing you less stress and high grades! You'll do great, Leah.

I have to agree with you on the pricing issue. You can't fault the author for what their publisher's charge, but the authors are losing sales because of it. Then the author's ability to hold up decent sales as a way to get a new contract is damaged. It's tough all around.

The Beguiled looks good. I like the time period, and while I haven't read Paisley Smith, I know you like her stuff. This one might find its way into my hands ; )

LVLM(Leah) said...

Aww... thanks Cathy. I feel bad grumbling compared to what kind of stress you've been dealing with. :(

Today was awful though. I found out that one test was due today (our instructor keeps randomly changing due dates) and it was a hard chapter on dosage calculations and such. Ugh.

I wanted to write a review today.

Hopefully I can get to it tomorrow.

Cathy in AK said...

Don't feel bad, Leah. No matter what the cause, stress is stress.

I'd be furious with the change-a-date prof! Dude! Pick one!

Hang in there!

Jill Sorenson said...

Historical American f/f! Great cover, great blurb. I would love to read this one.

LVLM(Leah) said...

Jill, I'm really looking forward to this book. I hope my expectations aren't too high!

So far I've loved Paisley's stories and writing, but not everyone who reads this blog does. So...

M. A. said...

Leah, I'm 1,000% empathy with the stress. I just completed the most toxic internship imaginable. Hope you're recovering well, I'm still in the "These obnoxious fools had better not put anything in my evaluation that impacts my grades."

Very excited to hear about Paisley's new release, can't wait to read it. Sometimes I love her, sometimes I don't, but I'm crazy about Antebellum romances. Kudos to Smith for writing one and best luck to her with that. : )

LVLM(Leah) said...

Mia- what are you going for?

But yeah, the stress is too much. This quarter is particularly bad. No rest for the weary.

I'm excited about Paisley's book. I like historicals and there just aren't too many f/f ones.

I hope it's one you like. :-)

M. A. said...

I'm finishing up pre-law. The internship was a nightmare, I cannot believe I paid tuition for the experience.

I took a beginning accounting class over the summer to fulfill my minor. It was nuts, definitely didn't come naturally to me and I had to work harder to keep up my grades. I understand just what you mean about the stress. Very time-consuming. I will say, though, in the end, LOL, I sort of enjoyed it once the concepts began "gelling" with me. It's like a puzzle put together with figures.

LVLM(Leah) said...

Mia- oh wow, pre law? I get a headache just thinking about that. LOL Forget about actually doing it.

But good for you. I think you have the mind for that kind of thing.

And yeah, I hope they don't screw with your grades.

I actually get accounting and enjoy logical processes involved in math. However, it's just too tedious to do on a regular basis. Kind of have to have an anal streak I think to deal with it.

Paisley Smith said...

Thanks for the shout out for Beguiled. Congrats on having all but two quarters under your belt, Leah.