Wednesday, May 12, 2010

It's a Non review week


This week has kind of sucked book wise. I've read two shorty's, started a longer book was a DNF, and started another book that I couldn't even get past the first chapter due to major info dump and boring writing that didn't hook me in. *sigh*

The first shorty is:

Enchanted Waters

by Bryn Colvin

Fantasy
/lesbian
4.6K

Loveyoudevine


Fate brings Catherine and Bracken to the healing spring at two critical moments in their lives. Encountering each other and sharing tears sparks passion and wild possibility.

Perhaps the old Gods were watching over Bracken and Catherine, sending them to the same healing spring at two critical points in their lives. In the spell of this magical place, the two women forge a deep connection and awaken a magical passion within each other.


Unfortunately this story didn't do it for me. I bought this book thinking it might be in interesting fantasy.

What didn't work for me was the incongruity in the ambiance.

It starts out all kind of new agey and spiritual with flowery and poetic language. The dialogue in the beginning was a bit stilted and off with the characters seemingly talking at each other without a connection. Then when the women get together, the language suddenly gets quite sexually graphic but mixed with with comparing the sex to the elements and the stars and so on. It came off to me like when a religious person talks all spiritial as they're taking advantage of someone sexually. It was weird for me.

Some parts of the story were OK, but it was too short for any other development outside of establishing some karmic meeting and spiritual sex. C-


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next book was a DNF.


Lavender Excursions
by Danielle Engle

2000

Erotica/ contemporary/ Lesbian/ some-m/f

67K
ebook

A self-styled entrepreneur, whose good looks and reputation precede her, Taryn Williams operates a business catering exclusively to women.

Lavender Excursions is her dream child, a place where women play out their deepest and darkest sexual fantasies. When Pat Brooks buys her best friend, Kimberly Justin, an excursion for a Christmas present, she sets off a chain of events that change not only Kimberly's life but Taryn's life as well. As past and present collide, these two women discover that love is a truly splendid thing.

Ok, this was erotica, so my standards are a bit less. But I just couldn't finish it. The whole premise was dumb and it's mostly hard core BDSM and non-stop sex with barely a story line. Now I wasn't so bothered by the BDSM and some of the sex was pretty hot. And I did manage to read about one third of the book. But when the main character started flogging one character with a shovel from the fireplace, that was it for me, I'm done.

I think if you're up for some hard core rough sex, with some serious flogging and strong D/s dynamic, you'll have a great couple of hours. It just wasn't for me.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The last book, unfortunately is not for sale anymore. I wasn't going to review it, but dang-it, it was the best group of little short stories.



Taste Test: Learning Curve
2008

by C. B. Potts, Jodi Payne, and Elisa Viperas
Anthology/Contemporary/Erotica/ Lesbian
ebook
Short

Advanced Studies
by CB Potts


Hot for Teacher
by Jodi Payne


Do it With Class
by Elisa Viperas


I must say, although very short altogether, and having three short stories within that, this is a juicy book. If you like the school, teacher/student- older/younger dynamic- fantasy, I'd totally recommend it.
All three stories focus on a school setting.

The first, Advanced Studies, is a quick yummy between a Dept. head prof and a not yet tenured instructor who is feeling a bit rebellious. I liked the dynamics in this story, older women, younger woman tight tension. Very hot.


The next story, Hot For Teacher
, is about a TA and a prof. The prof is the one in control here and *coughsurreptitiouslycough* seduces the TA, who is secretly lusting after the prof. Again, nicely written with those titillating differential power dynamics.

The third story, Do it with Class, is about two teachers teaching kids in a Catholic school. Again, this one is between older/younger in that the younger teacher is just out of college, and the older one is a former fitness instructor turned gym teacher. I'm kind of partial to the juxtaposition of sex within religious type setting. The little rebel in me rather enjoys it. But this was kind of cute because these women are so different. The younger woman is kind of straight laced even though she's a lesbian and the older one is pretty bawdy and outrageous. Plus, the writing and dialogue in this story was witty and fun.

Grade: B+

It was originally published by Torquere Press, but I can't find a copy of it anywhere even though it was pubbed in 2008. Don't know why it's gone, but it is.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not going to comment on the last DNS (Barely started) book because what's the point? I tried. I skipped ahead, hoping that the prologue only was a huge info dump, but the first chapter read the same way, and a few chapters in read the same way. I don't know who these characters are and unfortunately for the author, I don't care.

Authors, please, do NOT start your books with info dump and back story. It confuses and bores the hell out of readers. If we can't get past the first few pages, then even if the rest of book is brilliant, no one will know.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All is not lost this week though because the library finally came through with my hold of a few weeks, the DVD version of Tipping the Velvet by Sarah Waters.

I'm going to try and watch it tomorrow and get a review up of it in the next few days. Woot!


5 comments:

M.A. said...

*melancholy sigh*

Maybe this was "bad book week" or something. I purchased and partially read a bisexual/lesbian ebook marketed as "erotic romance." It was neither erotic nor romantic, and I didn't complete the read.

DNF's are VERY unusual for me; sometimes, even if a book doesn't appeal to me personally, I keep reading because I like to see how the story might "work" for others.

LVLM(Leah) said...

Oh that sucks. You want to let us in on which one? Or if you feel like emailing me. You have me curious now.

DNF's are hard for me. I hate giving up on a book. But these days I have no time to waste on a book that doesn't really do it for me. Especially if it's a longer book. If it's a short story, I might stick with it.

Sometimes I have a DNF that I know is because I'm just not in the mood for it now, but feel that I would get back to it at some other time. In that case, I don't say it's a DNF, but more like DFN- done for now. But of course I wouldn't put that out on the blog.

Cathy in AK said...

I don't usually drop books either, unless they are really distasteful. I slog on, hoping the author will surprise me later in the story. Mostly, not so much, and I do feel like I've wasted time. It's worse when the author is a big name and I've read gobs of great reviews. Makes me wonder if I'm reading the same book as everyone else!

But I was recently pleased with a book that took me *forever* to get into, so it works out now and again : )

Can't wait to see your take on "Tipping the Velvet". I haven't seen the movie, so I don't know what they may change, if anything. The movie version of Waters' "Affinity" was damn good : )

M.A. said...

LVLM
DNF's are hard for me. I hate giving up on a book. But these days I have no time to waste on a book that doesn't really do it for me. Especially if it's a longer book. If it's a short story, I might stick with it.

A lot of the time I read a book and even though it might not appeal to me personally, I read it anyway. Part of it is habit/work ethic -- I want to finish what I start. Another part, I guess, is that, when I read something that isn't "working" for me, I want to be able to analyze and comprehend why it's not "working." Sort of a lesson of what not to do as a writer, if that makes sense.

A book has to be truly "bad" for me not to be willing to invest the time in reading it. I'm an omnivorous reader, I like a little bit of everything. When I give up on a read, that means I viewed the work as having no redeeming qualities or strengths worth my time.

Cathy
It's worse when the author is a big name and I've read gobs of great reviews. Makes me wonder if I'm reading the same book as everyone else!

I totally get it. I'm a huge paranormal romance fan, and the recent mania over a certain YA vampire romance series has me baffled. UTTERLY BAFFLED. I own the first book and have attempted to read past the first chapter several times. Can't do it. I feel awful because some younger relatives of mine are crazy about this series and I like reading what they read so we can talk about it.

Can't wait to see your take on "Tipping the Velvet". I haven't seen the movie, so I don't know what they may change, if anything. The movie version of Waters' "Affinity" was damn good : )


I haven't read the book or viewed the movie, but I see Keely Hawes is cast in "Tipping the Velvet" and I thought her performance as Cynthia in "Wives and Daughters" was very good. She seems to be getting typecast as a heartless flirt/jilt a lot.

Cathy in AK said...

M.A., I do believe I've read that certain YA of which you speak :) I got through the first book, mostly to say I did it, but haven't even tried the others. My 13 y.o. daughter couldn't finish it. She is somewhat atypical in her readings for the age/gender group, however, prefering things like "World War Z" and "The Zombie Survival Guide."

I haven't heard of Keely Hawes, but her casting past may help her in TtV : )